Confidence in the Solution
Discussion between customer and software engineer.
- C: How does your program solve the problem?
- SE: (hand-waving explanation refering to
some diagrams illustrating example runs).
- C: Why do you believe that the program is correct?
- SE: I've tested it for various C and R.
- C: So the program runs the same for any parameters.
- SE: No, different situations may arise for other parameters.
- C: But for a particular choice, you've tested all possibilities.
- SE: No, there are too many possible program runs; I've just tested
some of them.
- C: So, if the program works for these, it will work for all others.
- SE: Not necessarily; other runs may lead to not yet covered
Author: Wolfgang Schreiner
Last Modification: April 22, 1999