RISC Curriculum in Symbolic Computation
Symbolic computation is the subarea of mathematics and
computer science which solves problems on symbolic objects
representable on a computer. The
Research Institute for Symbolic Computation (RISC)
Johannes Kepler University
in Linz, Austria, is an international institute with its
research focus on various branches of symbolic computation.
Research interests of RISC include
For almost twenty years RISC has been offering a special
PhD program in Symbolic Computation which has has found
About 25 Ph.D. students, most of them from foreign countries,
are currently participating in this program.
In the frame of its doctorate program, RISC offers
- a curriculum with courses and seminars in English
- fellowships for covering living expenses in Austria
- access to latest research results in the field
- an inspiring research environment in a medieval
- participation in an international scientific network.
RISC seeks applications of excellent and highly motivated
students with a university degree in mathematics and/or
computer science. Experience in symbolic computation is
advantageous but no formal requirement.
Application for RISC Ph.D studies
Please submit your application electronically at
Applications are continuously considered.
Ideally a RISC Ph.D. study begins in the fall or in the spring semester
(October 1st, resp. March 1st). In any case, applications should be sent
in timely (several months in advance).
Requirements for Applications
The minimum requirement is a master's degree, preferably in mathematics or computer
science. For applying, please send the following material:
- an application letter,
- a curriculum vitae and a photograph,
- a list of all courses that you have taken during your university studies,
including the number of hours credited and the grades,
- a copy of your master's thesis or any other publications, if available,
- at least two written recommendations, preferably by international
Please be aware that the first year at RISC-Linz is a test period.
After this year, the RISC-Linz faculty decides about
your final acceptance as a Ph.D. student.
For questions or comments to our doctoral program, please contact
Graduate Studies Coordinator,
RISC-Linz, Johannes Kepler University, A-4040 Linz, Austria.
Students at Austrian universities are charged tuition fees.
Since these fees depend on citizenship we refer
to the information at Johannes Kepler University Linz.